Benefits of Online Discussions
The integration of online discussions into the curriculum has a multitude of benefits for teachers and students.
- Online discussions address 21st Century Skills.
- All students have a voice. Online discussions help lower anxiety for students who are shy or uneasy, therefore increasing participation.
- Students have equity of voice, where no one will dominate the discussion.
- Schedules are flexible and conversations are not limited to classtime. Access to course materials is 24/7, therfore extending class beyond the class period, where any student can post comments to the discussion at anytime.
- Online transcripts are always saved, therefore allowing to review and revisit conversations.
- Groupwork is asynchronous, where every student may enter a comment at anytime during the assignment period.
- Teachers lecture less; students spend more time in higher order thinking activities.
- Handouts are not needed, therefore reducing paper and costs.
- Time for grading is reduced significantly.
- Online discussions can be enriched with newspaper articles, videos, images, and audio files.
- Online discussions is what today's businesses use to solve problems and address critical issues, therefore preparing students for their future.
How Does It Work?
Integrating 21st Century Skills in everyday teaching and learning will prepare students for their future. One way to expose students to tools and strategies used for collaboration and decision making in today's workplace is through the use of online discussions. This is how Edmodo works.
20 Ways to Use Edmodo in the Classroom
Susanna Clavello Garza, Coordinator, Digital Age Learning
Coordinator, Digital Age Learning
Areas of expertise:
Instructional technology, digital resources, 21st Century Skills, interactive whiteboards, mobile learning
Susan F. Reeves, Educational Specialist
Google for Education Certified Innovator, Code.Org Affiliate Trainer, Discovery Educator Network STAR Discovery Educator, Edmodo Certified Trainer, Certified BrainPOP Educator
Areas of expertise:
Technology integration, Web 2.0 tools, Google and Discovery Education, iPads and mobile devices, Interactive Whiteboards (SMART, Promethean and Mimio)