Introduction to SymbalooEDU
SymbalooEDU is a free Web tool that allows users to create webmixes. Webmixes are personal learning environments where teachers and students can organize digital resources is an easy, colorful way. SymbalooEDU works on computers, tablets and mobile devices. It is a great time saver because users do not have to type any web address when they are looking for information or tools on the Web. SymbalooEDU is available in English and Spanish.
How Symbaloo Works
Sample Student Projects with SymbalooEDU
- Biographies Project for Upper Elementary
Select a famous American. Using Albums FX Lite, Book Magic, or the Trading Cards app, create a presentation on your famous American. In your project answer questions such as: When and where did your American live? What was your American like as a person? Why is your American important? What problem or challenge did your American face? How did they overcome that challenge? What is an interesting fact about your American? How has your American made a difference in your life? Use the resources in the webmix for your research.
- Biographies Project for MS
In your opinion, what is the most important invention of all times? Use the resources in the webmix to support your opinion and identify the inventor. Then create a Voki as if you were the inventor but without revealing his/her name. Explain the importance of the invention. Have the rest of the class guess who your inventor is.
- Biographies Project for HS
Select a US president. Create a audio-recording as that president speaking of an important issue of the time period or giving a campaign speech. The recording should not be longer than 3 minutes and should not reveal the name of the president. Have the rest of the class guess who your president is.
- eduSymbaloo can be used on computers, tablets and mobile devices (the iPad and Android app have some limitations for creation but not for student use).
- Teachers can control the choice of resources students will use with a purpose.
- Students have access to organized digital resources such as ebooks, videos, blogs, games, websites, flashcards, creative tools, and more.
Classtime is used more efficiently and distractions are reduced.
- eduSymbaloo is easy to use.
- There are no advertisements.
- eduSymbaloo is free.
- Symbaloo webmixes can be set up as the students’ homepage when they log into school computers.
- Webmixes can be teacher-created or adapted from pre-made webmixes.
- Webmixes can be shared with other users or published for a large audience.
- Webmixes can be embedded in a webpage.
- Webmixes allow students to avoid typing in complex URLs.